Thursday, February 28, 2013

Horse Slaughter


Dear Editor,

It has come to my attention that horse slaughter is being portrayed as a negative event.  I see exactly where you are coming, from but let me give you a few facts that might change your mind.

I grew up riding horse and my childhood horses name was Muffin.  I loved him and looked forward to every adventure we had together.  He developed eye cancer when I was in 6th grade and reluctantly we had to sell him.  I knew where he was headed but it was reassuring to me.  He wouldn't be in pain anymore and he would be put to good use.

Yes, anytime the word slaughter is mention, people cringe. But as of now with hay prices on the rise and the cost of keeping a horse becoming too much for some families, they are just letting the horses loose in towns and in the wild.  So now tax payers, like yourself, are paying to feed these horses and take care of them when they could be put to a much better use.

We need horse slaughter to be legal and practiced here in the US, just like other working animals.  There are currently too many horses here and we need to control the population.  Starving horses along side the road is not something anyone would like to see in the future.

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment